Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

WOW. I can't believe I haven't posted since December 16th... oops! 'Twas a busy holiday season! But now it's the new year, and I have a feeling it's going to be a good one :)


I'm very superstitious when it comes to New Year's Eve. I believe that who you spend it with -- and especially who you are with at midnight -- sets the tone for the rest of the year. Obviously, what you wear also plays an important role!


Instead of purchasing an entirely new outfit for New Year's, I decided to recycle what I already own. I chose this wonderful blue tulip dress, which I find does wonders for my body shape and colouring!


I wore my gorgeous red vintage blazer and gold scarf, as I feel they are propitious colours. I very much hope for prosperity this year, at least in the forms of inspiration and happiness!

 
 I wore my fun polka-dot stockings (and suede oxfords), because I wanted to be able to see my tattoo, and also to have it be seen! Reflecting upon the past year, among the many wonderful things that happened, getting this tattoo was definitely a highlight. Paris is the main source of my inspiration, and I am thrilled to have it represented on my body.


To accentuate my waist and play up the embroidered trim on the dress, I wore my white rose belt! More gold, and the flowers represent the potential for opportunity to bloom!

 
Normally, I don't make New Year's Resolutions because I feel changes should be made constantly throughout the year, and saving them up is equal to making excuses for fixable shortcomings. But! This year I made some. I received two of Tim Gunn's books from Billy for Christmas: Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste, and Style, and Gunn's Golden Rules. They are so inspiring! Gunn emphasizes the importance of etiquette, which I agree is more than absent from society in general. His main point is this: make it work! He applies this to every situation, and I find this a simple and effective mantra. 


 I made a long list of resolutions, mostly in the same stream. This year I do not want to let stress and negativity cloud my outlook, as I tended to do in the past. My dad, when faced with aggravation, tend to close his eyes, breathe deeply, and count to ten before returning to the situation afresh. Brilliant! Me too ;)




I also would like to work more on my creative side this year. I love to draw and paint, and this year I did little of the former and almost none of the latter: the only paintings I made were Christmas presents. I received an easel and a package of ten blank canvasses for Christmas, so I hope to make use of them!




 I also aim to improve efficiency this year. I need to take stock of what is important in my life, and what I actually enjoy. Last year (and the couple of years before) I spent hours of useless time on the internet, on facebook in particular. Imagine the things I could have done during facebook-time! Even over the Christmas holidays, I spent time on facebook and didn't update my blog or my Chictopia account. Really, how important is it to read every word of the mini-feed when there is reading, essay-writing, blogging (maybe cleaning) to be done?


Also, as cliche as it sounds, I want to start going to the gym again this year. I went for a few weeks in the summer, and I felt great! I don't necessarily want to lose weight, but rather I want to build my strength and endurance and improve my posture. I also feel that regular exercise will help to reduce stress and better my sleeping patterns.


In terms of my wardrobe, I want to work with what I have and not focus as much on what is not there. I want to apply this to my life as a whole as well. I tend to stress about things that do not actually exist; I anticipate problems instead of appreciating the present. This year, in all facets of my life and surroundings, I plan to look for the good and overlook the bad.




What a long post! Do you have any New Year's Resolutions? I'd love to hear them! 




Expect several catch-up posts over the next bit!


Happy dressing!
Mitzi xo

1 comment:

  1. this is my favorite outfit that I have seen yet!
    all of the bright colors really make the outfit pop.
    This was the perfect choice for new years! so fun!

    -Meganne
    www.theposhpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, they make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...